I know you've all been waiting with bated breath to find out about Terrific Thursday, so without further ado...
Yesterday started boringly enough with me piddling around the house, finding excuse after excuse not to write papers. Then 1:30 rolled around and my good friends, Julia and Emily picked me up and we headed into L.A. TO WATCH A TAPING OF SYTYCD! After waiting in line for almost three hours two weeks ago, only to be turned away because "too many VIP's showed up," we returned with priority tickets to yesterday's show. We waited another few hours (this time in the front of the line!) before we were ushered into the studio. We got placed just behind the front row of people, smack dab in front of the stage. Since the row in front of us was mostly made up of thirteen-year-old's, we had a great view. Truth be told, most of the audience was made up of thirteen-year-old's. Aside from friends and family of the dancers, the audience consisted of three distinct groups: 1) thirteen-year-old girls, 2) their moms, and 3) my friends and me. Yeah. That's how we roll. But do you think that mattered one bit when Twitch and Will were ten feet away from me?! I could almost TOUCH those abs! And Mia Michaels was there - Julia almost peed her pants. (There IS a God!) It was such a thrill to see the group performances and solos - and this was just the results show! I can only imagine what it would be like to see the couples dance...
The sad part of the night was having to see Gev get eliminated. But really, all the guys at this point are so flipping amazing - it would have been sad to see any of them go. I didn't think the girl elimination would be too bad. Clearly, Comfort was on her way out. So, imagine my surprise when Kherington was cut. What were you thinking, America?! If we hadn't already made our way to the back of the crowd, I may have jumped up on stage in protest.
Oh, what's that? You want to know why we were walking away from the stage at such a vital point in the show? Well, I'll tell you. It's because my friends and I are Very Important People and we had another appearance to make that night...and about twenty minutes to get there. So, once the nice security guard let us go, we took off towards the parking garage, about four blocks away. While we were running like the wind, I shouted that I felt like we were in a movie because we were passing all of these film trailers and I secretly was playing the theme song to Rocky in my head. And just to let you in on how cool my friends are, Julia was playing Chariots of Fire and Em had Last of the Mohicans in her head. That's right - we should just walk around with warning signs that we're so cool we're hot. And smart. Right, girls?
Julia geniusly maneuvered us through traffic and we arrived at our destination just in time to...
wait for it...
wait for it...
...slip into a cast and crew screening of Step Brothers! With FREE popcorn and soda! Because we sat down just as the theater darkened, I didn't get a chance to see who all was there (and by that, I mean Will Ferrell or John C. Reilly). The movie had some hysterical one-liners, some of which have been on previews, but not all. And one disgusting scene in particular that I could have done without. Aside from that and the gratuitous use of F-bombs, it was pretty stinking funny. I've never heard an audience laugh so much, but I think it might have been because most of the people there had invested a lot of time and energy into making this film happen - it was their baby. And almost everyone waited until the very last credit rolled by before getting up. I mean, come on - wouldn't you wait to see your name upon the screen? I know I would. And then I would clap for myself. Which some of them did.
I'm sad to report that none of the big stars were there - I think they had just attended the premiere a week earlier. But I did see a few of the actors and actresses who played smaller roles. And I'm sure there were oodles of people there who are a Big Deal, but I didn't know them from Adam.
All in all it was an amazing day. A day in which I could forgive L.A. for all of its faults. Because sometimes, every now and then, I think, "Wow, L.A. You're really something. Did we just become best friends?!" And it answers with an emphatic, "YUP!"
Friday, July 18, 2008
Did I just have an awesome Thursday?! YUP!
Posted by Robin at 9:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
"Since the row in front of us was mostly made up of thirteen-year-old's, we had a great view." HAAH! so sadly true!
...and "we didn't know any of them from Adam" haah...get it? Adam McKay! ok, at least you got to meet one of the producers - come on.
PS...STILL peeing my pants thinking about how close I was to Mia. LOVE HER
Touche, Julia. I did get to meet one Big Deal person that I knew was a Big Deal. I love it how I make puns without even realizing it. :)
Way cool, Robin! Eh, TOTALLY cool!!!
How fun!! Hearing your stories always makes me want to live in LA!
I WAS SO SAD THAT IT WAS GEV. i think i wanted mark to go home rather than gev.
um...can i PUNCH cha right now???
I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK I LOVE MARK
Jules, you have too much time on your hands. Get to work!
I think Gev was the right choice, but Kherington??????! that was a shocker... That is so stinkin' cool that you got to see the live show!!! (and I'm talking about the beautiful abs....)
Your Thursday pretty much rocked :)
the abs were the best part...the biceps weren't bad either :)
That sounds like pretty much the perfect night! I am missing all that L.A. fun. When I get back, I'd love to join you girls on your next L.A. adventure. :)
Post a Comment