Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life is too short to wear a bikini.

Or, at least a cheap bikini.
Let me explain by first giving you a little background. My good friend, Kim, and I spent most of our summers in high school at Limberlost Lake and we often joked that she would be the fat, tan one, while I would be the skinny, pale one. While Kim worships the sun, laying out bores me to tears. So, there we'd be, settled on the dock, and I'd ask, "Wanna see how long we can hold our breath? Or we could try to swim out to that island. Oooh! We should have a diving contest! Better yet - let's create a synchronized swimming routine!" And Kim, understandably, would turn the radio up louder, flip from her back to her stomach, and ignore me.
Fast forward about ten years and I've given in to peer pressure, now wearing a bikini and doing the sociably acceptable thing of laying out on the beach, reading magazines, while all the guys play. But this last weekend I said, "No more!" And I proceeded to spend the next five hours in the ocean, diving into the waves, body surfing, competing in long-jump contests, and trying to not be the weakest link in the human chain verses the wave game. This would have been all fine and dandy if the ocean hadn't decided to have its way with me. It was all I could do to keep my bikini on! After getting knocked silly by the first big wave, I opted to put Ben's rash guard on, that way I would at least protect innocent bystanders from getting flashed by me. My bottoms were also an issue - half the day I was tugging and holding on to them for dear life as the waves forced me into out of control somersaults. It was all so annoying and cramping my style. Thus, my declaration: life is too short to wear a bikini. Next time I'll be dusting off the old, trusty speedo.
Aside from the wardrobe malfunctions, I had the best beach day I've had in a long time. Perfect temps, beautiful day, and rock climbing! If only every day could be that much fun.

Fellow Frolickers.


Sunblock, according to Laine.


Emily, teaching me the ropes. HA! Get it?!


Jordan, totally kicking my butt as he raced to the top and I eventually gave up. I did make it all the way up the other side, though!


Ben and Barry.


I think Barry's saying, "Can you BELIEVE this view?!" He might have been referring to himself......but this is what I was thinking of - backdrop to the rock we were climbing. Amazing!


And, last but not least, the baby seal that paid us a visit. I was told he was probably disoriented from some bad algae, but I'm pretty sure he made back into the ocean okay.

1 comments:

Tara and Dan said...

I totally would have been out in the ocean with you (If I weren't pregnant and overdue...). Ocean waves rock! And, I've lost a swimsuit skirt in the ocean before, but luckily found it floating before the next wave hit. Those waves can be brutal!

Loved the video- that is crazy!